A couple of years ago, if you stuffed the phrase “SEO Trends” into every sentence in this post for example, when there’s a search query involving those words, this page would rank among the first page results of the Search Engine.
Today, the game has changed. If you try doing the same word stuffing, there’s a high possibility that this article won’t even appear in the top 10 list of the Search Engine Result Pages (SERPs).
So why are there different trends in SEO every year?
Just like every business owner wants to create the best user experience for their customers, Google does the same for their users. Think of the search engine like an AI brain that’s looking through billions of web pages to give you the best response when you make a query. Regularly, Google updates their algorithm which is an ambiguous process to ensure further effectivity of the search engine bot to find the right result and return the same to the user.
The updates are done up to 600 times in a year and if you are a search marketer or just interested to top your site ranking, understanding the updates would be parallel to determining the SEO trends you’d like to implement upon.
What you should know about Google’s Search Engine Algorithm Update
Over the last 7 years, there have been 8 major algorithm changes to the Google search engine.
Starting from the most recent we have:
- Fred: this update was released to help the search engine bot identify and separate those sites that don’t follow Google’s webmaster guidelines. This update majorly affects websites and blogs with poor content especially the ones that mainly focused on making money from ads and affiliate links.
- Possum: the aim of Possum is to promote location-based results from a search query. Let’s say you search “purchase iPhone” on Google, the search engine would bring up more results of stores closer to your location.
- RankBrain: this is one of the most important factors in ranking on Google’s SERPs. It’s an intelligent update that relearns itself to adequately understand your search query and give you the most probable answer.
- Mobile: as the name implies, mobile algorithm update encourages the ranking of sites that are mobile friendly when a search is made from a mobile device. This factor is now a very big determinant of 2018 SEO.
- Pigeon: this was the first update relating to Possum and it was only available in US, UK, Canada and Australia. The algorithm makes results specific to these locations easily accessible. Since this update, local search results also became affected by normal SEO factors.
- Hummingbird: this algorithm update is a major part of SEO. The hummingbird ensures that the search engine recognizes genuine content on the web and ranks them on the results page. It does this by being able to understand the natural use of words and synonyms.
- Penguin: is a core part of Google’s algorithm. Its role is to put down the rank of any page with deceiving links.
- Panda: is one of the core algorithms for Google search engine. It focuses on filtering duplicated, plagiarized content and unnecessary keyword stuffing. The algorithm gives every web page a quality score which then affects the overall rank of the site on the SERPs.
With constant updates being rolled out, it might make you feel as if you’ve just resurfaced from the sea of algorithms over and over again. Any changes are never easy but if you know how to manage your SEO and understand what your users/visitors’ needs, you’ll surely get through any of these algorithm updates just fine.
What has not changed in the SEO trends?
Despite the updates, there are still basic factors that affect how your site ranks on Google Search. We list out some of the top essential practices that would affect how well your site’s rank:
- Excellent and readable content.
- Effective keyword usage.
- Quality outbound links.
- Quality Internal link.
- Web Page Readability.
- Website security.
- Mobile optimization
What are the latest trends in SEO?
If you have followed closely, you’d know by now the reason behind the new trends for SEO. You’d agree it’s based on how the internet is used by the majority since Google is out to satisfy its users.
Below are some of the major trends in SEO for 2018:
- Quality and Comprehensive Content: Content is still the king of the game! Every Google algorithm update promotes good and readable content. Even the more now, you must ensure your site is adequately supplying what the users want.
- Mobile-First Indexing: the huge rise in the use of mobile devices has made Google rank sites that are mobile-friendly and responsive above others that are not.
- Voice Search: due to the increasing usage of smart speakers like Amazon echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod there’s been an increasing use of voice search. This is a big factor that’ll affect SEO even in coming years.
- Page Speed: Google now ranks websites with faster and simple response rate higher compared to the ones with a slow response rate
- Videos: more internet users prefer to watch a video that explains a particular subject, which caused a huge traffic flow towards video content. Forecasts show that it’s bound to increase to 80% of the total internet traffic by 2021. Every website needs to get into the video making business especially YouTube videos or get left out.
SEO is a long-term investment for your business that promises good returns when your website starts to rank on the SERPs. In order to stay relevant online, you must ensure every page on your website meets the basic SEO implementations. You must also optimize your content with the latest trends. Go to Globe Digital Ads now to get your brand to be ranked #1 on Google search results.